The rest of the basement slab was poured however for whatever reason our GC decided not to pour the carport slab. Almost funny that even the guys laying the concrete, laborers, were telling us that it wasn’t smart not pouring it all at one time and that it was going to cost us more money. Maybe they should manage the financials for our GC. Speaking of, he still won’t return calls or email from us or our Structural Engineer. It would be great if he was a little more responsive but this has always been the case.
It rained a fair amount this week and we have discovered that the ceiling is collapsing in the kitchen and the ceiling and floor in one of our boy’s bedroom has been damaged beyond repair due to him continuing not to properly install a tarp even though we have told him about this issue numerous times. GC still hasn’t been in our house, ridiculous.
Also, our Structural Engineer informed us that as a result of the new foundation slab having to be cut to dig and pour footers (since the grade beams which were on the plans weren’t properly installed) she noticed that the slab is actually 2 1/2″ – 3 1/2″ thick in places instead of 4″ as the plans required. She also discovered that the guys pouring the concrete didn’t lift the wire mesh resulting in it being on the bottom of the slab. Thankfully she insisted on the footings to carry the weight of the structure or we would have one hell of a mess in a few years since basically the main floor would collapse into the basement area.
Last she also noticed that another grade beam, which was noted on the plans, was also not poured. This means another area will need to be sawn out, excavated and poured properly. I guess we won’t be able to go with a finished concrete floor since our slab is going to look like a checker board – a look we were leaning towards.
Good news is that our GC said that the framing material will be arriving on Monday and framing will begin on Tuesday. Yes!!! Let’s go forward – finally!!!
My constant question to myself – should we keep it or not? This is driving Julie and I crazy and we’re questioning what we could have done differently. We thought we did our due diligence on the GC but he has continued to not only drop the ball but create further issues. A lot is his lack of supervision and I believe knowledge of general construction along with not wanting to properly right a wrong, but I guess the question we keep asking is “are we just snakebit”? We’re going to talk to a few experts to see if we’re able to financially afford to keep going and honestly if it makes sense – I’m already scared about their answer. Julie’s “forever home” has turned into a nightmare and I just don’t know if now we’ll ever be able to make it right as well as remove the tarnish.I feel crushed and basically beaten down.