As for our little project, if you’re a glass half-full type then you could say that we’ve made a wee amount of progress. Wee as in tiny, small, minuscule,slight, etc… But, at least we’re moving forward.
Interesting last several days which I’ll try to recount: first I received an interesting call from two past clients of our former GC. One just wanted to compare notes as to the various issues which they’ve uncovered as well as their past experiences with him while the other wanted to get my opinion on our experience with him and if we would consider using him again. Pretty easy guess as to my answer – I really can’t believe that he’s still out there marketing himself, hopefully through various efforts that we’ll be short-lived.
Now, on to that which is positive. As you may know I’ve tried to divorce myself from this house and our dream quite a few times and while I’ve come so very close numerous times, presently I just can’t find the strength (sense) to do it. So even though there is a significant financial gap as to what we’ve budgeted and what it will now take to complete the task, I’m determined to make it happen. How? I’m not totally sure, but I have faith that somehow we can get it done without sacrificing quality of finishes or our initial plan (maybe there’s a little touch of insanity). We have a couple of highly competent GC’s that we’re deciding between which have thankfully offered to assist us in various ways, however I still have a fairly large hill to climb. No doubt that it’s going to take more than a team effort so please feel free to offer any advice, tips, suggestions, etc…but Please- only positive talk. I know 99.9% of the population would have abandoned this “dream” weeks ago but it’s something that I just can’t let go of, at least not yet.
First step, the architect which was hired by our GC contacted my wife and offered to assist in any way possible. He had heard about all that had transpired and volunteered to do whatever he could to make it right and assist in any possible way. His first task, re-draw our roofing plan. We’ve been told by numerous contractors that our current roofing plan was a little extreme, basically it required over double the amount of materials as to what a similar home with a comparable square footage would require. His second task is to confirm all of his past measurements as we’ve had questions arise as to the inaccuracies of them, not sure if this will reduce the overall costs but hopefully it will help to eliminate some of the future surprises. Last, review and look for inefficiencies and ways we can achieve our overall goal that could also reduce the construction costs, not expecting much with regards to the last request.
Truthfully, after discovering that a few of our past issues were created due to the architect’s inaccuracies I haven’t been his biggest fan but almost everybody deserves a second chance. We gave our former GC 3 to 4 “second chances” so Julie talked me into granting the architect a second one. We shall see but I’m not really sure how it can hurt. We need to utilize every resource possible so hopefully this will prove fruitful.
Second Step…hopefully coming soon
October 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM
I can feel your pain. If I’m away from our project for a couple of days I can be ready to throw in the towel. But once I step in that house something gives me new energy. I do most of the work myself, but when I need to hire someone I try to have a series of questions that I have researched the answers to. There are a series of ‘best practices’ for almost any kind of project, so if you have that knowledge I find you can weed out bad contractors pretty quickly. Good luck on your home. Keep the faith, it will happen.
October 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Thanks Curt, I needed to hear that – great advice!!