First, it is hard to believe that we’re spending so much money with someone to construct our home and this is the first official meeting that we’ve had. We’ve tried but he has repeatedly told us that it wasn’t necessary yet and has basically made it feel as if we were being unreasonable and somewhat crazy for wanting to do so. Anyway, our first meeting and it is to discuss all of the issues created with the slab as well as the framing. Where do I start?
I let him know that I was pissed(politely), and that I couldn’t understand how any of this could happen. As for the footprint of the slab not being correct, he said that it had to do with the elevation in the plans (he ignored my comment about field verifying) and that they couldn’t dig closer to the house. Not sure why? They did the first time they excavated. Then he admitted that this was the first time that he had ever connected an existing structure with new construction. What? Why didn’t he tell us this when we first met with him and asked him if he had ever worked on similar jobs before and his response was that he was quite experienced and comfortable with it. Also, if he didn’t know what in the hell he was doing why didn’t he at least enlist someone’s help that does have the needed experience? What have we gotten into?
As for the carport wall and slab being incorrect, he said that he “honestly doesn’t know why it was done this way” but he did agree to remove the carport retention wall which now we might move further back to give us more carport area. We asked him about the ceiling height and he said that he had checked it and it was correct – good at least it was dug deep enough.
In regards to the plumbing he couldn’t explain how it ended up in the bedroom but he offered to have it moved into the correct location if we paid for it. Seriously? You or your subs screwed it up and you want us to pay for it? He then said that we could leave it where it is and just make the bedroom in the basement smaller by 2-3 feet – it’s already a pretty small bedroom – what is he thinking and the guts for him to even suggest that we pay and or make a heavy sacrifice for his mistake. This ultimately would affect the value of our home as well if we ever decided to sell it.
We said that we would get back with him shortly, I literally thought that I was going to go crazy because I was so mad. The carport retaining wall will be removed so we’ll decide on the rest and get back with him but my feeling is that I want the whole thing either ripped up or him off the job and he can refund us what we have paid that he hasn’t done correctly.
Last, I asked again for Lien Waivers and of course he said that he would get them to us. I’m not holding my breath.